Why litter pick?
1. Protect wildlife - many animals and invertebrates get trapped in litter. It's important to protect our local eco-systems from the little slugs to the badgers, for their survival and ours.
2. Education - when you litter pick you learn so much about the natural environment but also the impact of human activity. Just litter picking once will open your eyes to the way our society lives - waste and throwaway single use plastic. In turn it will help you understand other environmental issues our planet faces locally, nationally and globally.
3. Community - looking after your local area and working with others to make Castle Point a caring, welcoming place. Litter picking is by no way a means to an end but a way to find solutions to our problems and that means working together.
4. Exercise and mental wellbeing - all that fresh air is great for your physical and mental health.
5. Socialising - you get to meet likeminded people and hopefully make some new friends. What better way to spend your time than with others who are caring and have a sense of empathy.
Written by Emma Powell, Keep Britain Tidy Litter Hero Ambassador and Founder of the Castle Point Clean Up Crew
The Castle Point Council has expressed an interest in allocating us a community allotment but it will no doubt take quite a lot of work in setting it up and then maintaining it.
So, before we go ahead to try to make it happen would you please let us know if you are interested in being part of this project? It will be fun and will produce (we hope!) some nice food which will cut down on carbon emissions. Also, of course, we won't be using chemicals so our produce will be organic. A win-win really but it will also need a few of us willing to put in the work!
Please respond here if you want to be part of the team.